Montage of rail images. Follow this link to skip navigation.
Link to the railway archive

Railway Archive: The Last Main Line

Link to home page
Link to canals section
Link to railways section
Link to aviation section
Link to learning zone
Link to about this site
Link to send feedback
Navigation ends

Departmental vans near Leicester Shed

Departmental vans near Leicester Shed

Back to the storyBuy this photo this link opens a new window
L1336. General view of the locomotive servicing facilities nearing completion at Leicester. Three vans belonging to the 'Locomotive Department' stand outside the coaling stage buildings, each one is marked 'GCR Leicester'. A small group of navvies have 'downed tools' while Newton took the photograph. The main locomotive shed would have been behind the photographer and slightly to the left. Note the piles of bricks dotted around the picture. The sheds and ancillary buildings would have been built by Henry Lovatt of Wolverhampton - who had built the entire section between East Leake and Leicester.
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - Newton, S. W. A.
Datecreation - circa 1899
TypePhotographic prints - Black & White
Photographs - 
Formatdimension.H - 118mm
dimension.W - 161mm
IdentifierNewton - E 3/1
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationpart of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
copy of - glass plate negative
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Leicester Central shed, Leicester (O.S. Ref: 457700 303000)
period - circa 1899
Location.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
RightsLeicestershire County Council