Montage of rail images. Follow this link to skip navigation.
Link to the railway archive

Railway Archive: The Last Main Line

Link to home page
Link to canals section
Link to railways section
Link to aviation section
Link to learning zone
Link to about this site
Link to send feedback
Navigation ends

Navvy mission room interior, Loughborough

Navvy mission room interior, Loughborough

Back to the storyBuy this photo this link opens a new window
L1225. Interior view of the Navvy Mission Hut at Loughborough in Leicestershire - built for the navvies working on Contract No. 2 (East Leake to Aylestone), built by Henry Lovatt of Wolverhampton between 1894 and 1899. Pictures depicting the life of Jesus Christ adorn the walls above the alter, and the mission's motto 'Thanks Be To God' is painted in a shield on the alter wall. The Mission's organist sits posed at his instrument in the otherwise empty building. The pews are simple wooden benches.
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - Newton, S. W. A.
Datecreation - circa 1897
TypePhotographic prints - Black & White
Photographs - 
Formatdimension.H - 118mm
dimension.W - 161mm
IdentifierNewton - C 3/2
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationpart of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
copy of - glass plate negative
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Loughborough, Leicestershire
period - circa 1897
Location.Current Site - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
RightsLeicestershire County Council