Montage of rail images. Follow this link to skip navigation.
Link to the railway archive

Railway Archive: The Last Main Line

Link to home page
Link to canals section
Link to railways section
Link to aviation section
Link to learning zone
Link to about this site
Link to send feedback
Navigation ends

View of St. Mary the Virgin and All Soul's, Bulwell

View of St. Mary the Virgin and All Soul's, Bulwell

Go back to the records from the Hucknall map.Buy this photo this link opens a new window
L3468. This a view of St. Mary the Virgin and All Soul's, Bulwell. The present church was built in 1850 but a church has been situated on the hill since 1134. A storm badly damaged the roof of the previous building, in 1843, so it was decided that a new church should be erected. This 'new' church was consecrated on 4th November 1850 by the Bishop of Lincoln. ( Bulwell was in the Lincoln Diocese at the time.) In 1891, the Trevor Clock was illuminated. This was paid for by Nottingham corporation, plus the cost of the gas to light it. Today it is powered by the street lighting system! For those interested in the bells, it has 8 and they are hoping to save up for another 2 in addition to these.
PublisherLeicestershire County Council
Contributor
Creatorpersonalname - Newton, S. W. A.
Datecreation - circa 1897
TypePhotographs - Black and White
Formatdimension.H - 160 mm
dimension.W - 212 mm
IdentifierNewton - 124/3
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationcopy of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
derived from - glass plate negative
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Bulwell, Nottinghamshire
Location.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
point - circa 1897
RightsLeicestershire County Council