Montage of rail images. Follow this link to skip navigation.
Link to the railway archive

Railway Archive: The Last Main Line

Link to home page
Link to canals section
Link to railways section
Link to aviation section
Link to learning zone
Link to about this site
Link to send feedback
Navigation ends

Navvy camp near Newton, Warwickshire

Navvy camp near Newton, Warwickshire

Go back to the records from the Newton map.Buy this photo this link opens a new window
L3064. These huts near Newton formed part of a temporary camp which was erected by Topham, Jones & Railton to house the navvies at work on Contract No.3 of the Last Main Line (Aylestone to Rugby). Unlike in the early days of railway construction, when the contractor's employees were neglected and housing was a far lower priority, the firms responsible for building the London Extension were obliged to provide the navvies and their families with adequate accommodation.
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - S. W. A Newton
Datecreation - circa 1897
TypePhotographs - black and white
Formatdimension.H - 158mm
dimension.W - 211mm
IdentifierNewton - 38/6
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationcopy of - glass plate negative
part of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
CoverageLocation.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland
Location.Creation Site - Newton, Warwickshire (O.S. Ref: 453200 278800)
period - circa 1897
RightsLeicestershire County Council