Montage of rail images. Follow this link to skip navigation.
Link to the railway archive

Railway Archive: The Last Main Line

Link to home page
Link to canals section
Link to railways section
Link to aviation section
Link to learning zone
Link to about this site
Link to send feedback
Navigation ends

Navvy mission room at Rugby

Navvy mission room at Rugby

Go back to the records from the Newton map.Buy this photo this link opens a new window
L3034. This wooden hut on Sun Street, Rugby, was erected by the Navvy Mission Society for the men at work on the Last Main Line. Formed in 1877 out of concern for the navvies' moral and spiritual well-being, the Society and its lay preachers used premises such as these to improve the navvies' understanding of the Bible, and to lead them away from a culture of excessive drinking and immoral behaviour. As in this case, the rooms were invariably simple and inside the decoration was sparse, but it was the 'message' preached within that received the highest priority.
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - S. W. A Newton
Datecreation - circa 1897
TypePhotographs - black and white
Formatdimension.H - 162mm
dimension.W - 216mm
IdentifierNewton - 34/3
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationcopy of - glass plate negative
part of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
CoverageLocation.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
Location.Creation Site - Rugby, Warwickshire (O.S. Ref: 451500 275400)
period - circa 1897
RightsLeicestershire County Council