Montage of rail images. Follow this link to skip navigation.
Link to the railway archive

Railway Archive: The Last Main Line

Link to home page
Link to canals section
Link to railways section
Link to aviation section
Link to learning zone
Link to about this site
Link to send feedback
Navigation ends

Rock cutting at the site of Victoria Station

Rock cutting at the site of Victoria Station

Go back to the records from the Nottingham map.Buy this photo this link opens a new window
L2255. A line of Midland Railway mineral wagons wait at a rock cutting on the site of Nottingham's Victoria Station. Built by Henry Lovatt & Co. between 1896-1900, the station was actually completed some fifteen months after the first passengers had travelled on the London Extension. Note the contractor's temporary railway in the foreground, and the succession of vertical recesses hewn out of the cutting wall.
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - Newton, S. W. A.
Datecreation - circa 1897
TypePhotographs - Black and white
Formatdimension.H - 116mm
dimension.W - 162mm
IdentifierNewton - S 1/5
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationcopy of - glass plate negative
part of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Nottingham, Nottinghamshire (O.S. Ref: 457300 340300)
Location.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
period - circa 1897
RightsLeicestershire County Council