Montage of rail images. Follow this link to skip navigation.
Link to the railway archive

Railway Archive: The Last Main Line

Link to home page
Link to canals section
Link to railways section
Link to aviation section
Link to learning zone
Link to about this site
Link to send feedback
Navigation ends

Signal box and permanent way on the Banbury Branch

Signal box and permanent way on the Banbury Branch

Go back to the map or view all the records from this map.Buy this photo this link opens a new window
L2236. Looking along the permanent way towards a signal box on the nearly completed Banbury Branch, photographed close to Culworth, Northamptonshire. Built between 1897-1900, this line left the London Extension south of Woodford and headed on to Banbury where it connected with the Great Western Railway. Note that a particularly generous level of ballast has been packed over the sleepers.
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - Newton, S. W. A.
Datecreation - circa 1900
TypePhotographs - Black and white
Formatdimension.H - 118mm
dimension.W - 160mm
IdentifierNewton - R 5/2
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationcopy of - glass plate negative
part of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Culworth, Northamptonshire (O.S. Ref: 453600 247200)
Location.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
period - circa 1900
RightsLeicestershire County Council