Montage of rail images. Follow this link to skip navigation.
Link to the railway archive

Railway Archive: The Last Main Line

Link to home page
Link to canals section
Link to railways section
Link to aviation section
Link to learning zone
Link to about this site
Link to send feedback
Navigation ends

Navvy mission reading room at Staverton, Northamptonshire

Navvy mission reading room at Staverton, Northamptonshire

Go back to the map or view all the records from this map.Buy this photo this link opens a new window
L1784. From the messages placed on the walls of this navvy mission room, it appears the religious instruction here was no less uncompromising than the furniture. Navvy missions were sometimes housed in purpose built huts, or like this one at Staverton, were placed in converted barns and outbuildings. These premises would have served those navvies at work on Contract No.4 (Rugby to Woodford), built by T. Oliver & Son between 1894-1899.
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - Newton, S. W. A.
Datecreation - circa 1897
TypePhotographs - Black and white
Formatdimension.H - 118mm
dimension.W - 162mm
IdentifierNewton - N 1/7
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationcopy of - glass plate negative
part of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Staverton, Northamptonshire (O.S. Ref: 453000 261000)
Location.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
period - circa 1897
RightsLeicestershire County Council