Montage of rail images. Follow this link to skip navigation.
Link to the railway archive

Railway Archive: The Last Main Line

Link to home page
Link to canals section
Link to railways section
Link to aviation section
Link to learning zone
Link to about this site
Link to send feedback
Navigation ends

Navvy mission hall

Navvy mission hall

Back to the storyBuy this photo this link opens a new window
L2443. Although it is known that S.W.A. Newton photographed this navvy mission hall on 14.4.1903, its location remains unclear. As the Great Western & Great Central Joint Line was being constructed at that time, the hall was probably located at a village in Buckinghamshire. The reputation that navvies had for being lawless, unruly and even godless people may, by the early 1900s, have been largely false, but many churchmen and moralists still considered the navvy to be in need of guidance. To this end, the Navvy Mission Society provided buildings such as this corrugated metal hut for communities of navvies to receive religious instruction.
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - Newton, S. W. A.
Datecreation - 1903-04-14
TypePhotographs - Black and white
Formatdimension.H - 117mm
dimension.W - 163mm
IdentifierNewton - Y 3/1
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationcopy of - glass plate negative
part of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Unknown
Location.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
point - 1903-04-14
RightsLeicestershire County Council