Montage of rail images. Follow this link to skip navigation.
Link to the railway archive

Railway Archive: The Last Main Line

Link to home page
Link to canals section
Link to railways section
Link to aviation section
Link to learning zone
Link to about this site
Link to send feedback
Navigation ends

Great Central Station, Leicester

Great Central Station, Leicester

Back to the story
L1736. Leicester Central Station, circa 1925. The clock tower and decorative gables of this distinctive facade were later replaced with a brick wall. A section of the viaduct which carried the Last Main Line across much of the city, and upon which the station platforms were built, can be seen on the far right of the photograph. Note the name on the delivery wagons parked at the Parcels Office: in 1923 the Great Central had become part of the London & North Eastern Railway.
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorattribution - Unknown
Datecreation - circa 1925
TypePhotographs - black and white
Formatdimension.H - 205mm
dimension.W - 254mm
IdentifierDE 3736
SourceRecord Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationpart of - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland collection
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Great Central Street, Leicester (O.S. Ref: 458200 304700)
Location.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
period - circa 1925
RightsUnknown