Montage of rail images. Follow this link to skip navigation.
Link to the railway archive

Railway Archive: The Last Main Line

Link to home page
Link to canals section
Link to railways section
Link to aviation section
Link to learning zone
Link to about this site
Link to send feedback
Navigation ends

Navvy Mission Room at Helmdon, Northamptonshire

Navvy Mission Room at Helmdon, Northamptonshire

Back to the storyBuy this photo this link opens a new window
L1237. A navvy mission room at Helmdon, Northamptonshire, circa 1897. Although by the 1890s navvies had shed some of their reputation for being fierce and unruly, Victorian moralists still considered them to be drunken and ungodly. Mission Halls could therefore be found along the route of the London Extension, and both navvies and their families attended services. This one was erected for those at work on Contract No. 5 (Woodford to Brackley built by Walter Scott & Co. of Newcastle upon Tyne).
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - Newton, S. W. A.
Datecreation - circa 1897
TypePhotographs - 
Photographic prints - black and white
Formatdimension.H - 118mm
dimension.W - 161mm
IdentifierNewton - C 3/14
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationpart of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
copy of - glass plate negative
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Helmdon, Northamptonshire
Location.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
period - circa 1897
RightsLeicestershire County Council