Montage of rail images. Follow this link to skip navigation.
Link to the railway archive

Railway Archive: The Last Main Line

Link to home page
Link to canals section
Link to railways section
Link to aviation section
Link to learning zone
Link to about this site
Link to send feedback
Navigation ends

Former contractors' saddletank locomotive, SIR BERKELEY.

Former contractors' saddletank locomotive, SIR BERKELEY.

Back to the story
L1109. Manning Wardle & Co. built, 0-6-0 saddletank (Class L), No. 1210 of 1890. It began life as number '30' in the Logan & Hemingway fleet and worked on the London Extension construction in the Nottingham area. Renumbered '10', the locomotive saw further use in the south-west before being sold to the Cranford ironstone Quarries where it was named SIR BERKELEY. Today the locomotive belongs to the Vintage Carriages Trust and is based on the Middleton Railway in Leeds. It is seen here at Weybourne station on the North Norfolk Railway, in the company of a agricultural traction engine built by William Foster of Lincoln. The coach behind the locomotive is a former Metropolitan Railway brake third, No. 427 of 1910.
PublisherThe Vintage Carriages Trust
Contributor
Creatorcorporatename - The Vintage Carriages Trust
Datecreation - Unknown
TypePhotographs - Colour
Formatdimension.H - 112mm
dimension.W - 150mm
Identifier
SourceThe Vintage Carriages Trust
LanguageEN
Relationcopy of - Original Negative
part of - The Vintage Carriages Trust Archive
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Unknown
Location.Current Repository - The Vintage Carriages Trust, Ingrow, West Yorkshire
RightsThe Vintage Carriages Trust