Montage of rail images. Follow this link to skip navigation.
Link to the railway archive

Railway Archive: The Last Main Line

Link to home page
Link to canals section
Link to railways section
Link to aviation section
Link to learning zone
Link to about this site
Link to send feedback
Navigation ends

Wyggeston's Chantry House

Wyggeston's Chantry House

Go back to the records from the Leicester North map.Buy this photo this link opens a new window
L3480. This ivy-clad building was built in about 1511/12 by William Wyggeston, Leicester's richest citizen, and greatest benefactor. It was used to house two ('chantry') priests who sang masses for his soul in the nearby church of St. Mary of the Annunciation.
The chapel was demolished soon after its closure in 1548, but the Chantry House survives as the only Elizabethan urban gentry house in the country. It has undergone some changes over the years - originally a two storey building, the third floor was added in the later sixteenth century. The Chantry House was used largely as a private dwelling until 1940 when it was damaged by bombing in the Second World War. However, for a period of time around the turn of the twentieth century it was used as an office by Henry Lovatt, head of the contraction company responsible for the creation of the Great Central Line through Leicester (note the sign next to the door). Restored in the 1950s, Wyygeston's Chantry House now forms part of Newarke Houses museum.
PublisherLeicestershire County Council
Contributor
Creatorpersonalname - Newton, S. W. A.
Date
TypePhotographs - Black and White
Formatdimension.H - 160 mm
IdentifierNewton - TBC Z2/26
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationcopy of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
derived from - glass plate negative
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Leicester (O.S. Ref:458300 304100)
Location.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
point - Unknown
RightsLeicestershire County Council