Montage of rail images. Follow this link to skip navigation.
Link to the railway archive

Railway Archive: The Last Main Line

Link to home page
Link to canals section
Link to railways section
Link to aviation section
Link to learning zone
Link to about this site
Link to send feedback
Navigation ends

Girder bridge at northern end of Wilford Viaduct

Girder bridge at northern end of Wilford Viaduct

Go back to the map or view all the records from this map.Buy this photo this link opens a new window
L3464. One of the many natural features negotiated by the London Extension was the River Trent at Wilford in Nottingham. An impressive viaduct was erected by contractors Logan and Hemmingway, who held responsibility for construction of the line between Annesley and East Leake. The structure was made up of several types of construction - brick arches were interspersed with steel girder spans. This photograph shows the plate girder bridge which formed the northern end of the viaduct, as it extended across the Queen's Walk to Trent Baths road, before joining steel girders spanning the Midland Railway Station. Scaffolding is still in place, although from this photograph the structure appears complete.
PublisherLeicestershire County Council
Contributor
Creatorpersonalname - Newton, S. W. A.
Date
TypePhotographs - Black and White
Formatdimension.H - 160 mm
IdentifierNewton - 123/11
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationcopy of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
derived from - glass plate negative
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Nottingham, Nottinghamshire (O.S. Ref: 457100 338200)
Location.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
point - circa 1897
RightsLeicestershire County Council