Montage of rail images. Follow this link to skip navigation.
Link to the railway archive

Railway Archive: The Last Main Line

Link to home page
Link to canals section
Link to railways section
Link to aviation section
Link to learning zone
Link to about this site
Link to send feedback
Navigation ends

Steam navvy at work near Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire.

Steam navvy at work near Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire.

Go back to the map or view all the records from this map.Buy this photo this link opens a new window
L3330. A photograph showing a section of line under construction at Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, which formed part of the joint route shared by the Great Western and Great Central Railways. This image provides a perfect example of the use of 'steam navvies', which were introduced in 1880 by Joseph Ruston. Deep cuttings were a classic feature of the joint line, and these machines were used to remove large sections of earth, as shown. Two men can be seen securing the sides of the cutting, whilst other construction workers pose for Newton's lens. One of the men stands in a relatively crudely built hut, the like of which commonly formed a part of the steam navvies. The need for shelter from the elements was overlooked in the original design of the machine, and so men often erected their own protection from the elements. The horse seen in the right of the photograph will have been used to tow wagons full of tipping waste from excavation of the cutting.
PublisherLeicestershire County Council
Contributor
Creatorpersonalname - Newton, S. W. A.
Datecreation - circa 1904
TypePhotographs - Black and White
Formatdimension.H - 160mm
dimension.W - 212mm
IdentifierNewton - 110/1
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationpart of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
derived from - glass plate negative
CoverageLocation.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
Location.Creation Site - Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire (O.S. Ref: 500100 188900)
period - circa 1904
RightsLeicestershire County Council