Montage of rail images. Follow this link to skip navigation.
Link to the railway archive

Railway Archive: The Last Main Line

Link to home page
Link to canals section
Link to railways section
Link to aviation section
Link to learning zone
Link to about this site
Link to send feedback
Navigation ends

Section of the Blackfriars Tessellated Roman Pavement, Leicester.

Section of the Blackfriars Tessellated Roman Pavement, Leicester.

Go back to the records from the Leicester North map.
L3308. The Blackfriars tessellated Roman pavement is believed to have been constructed around 150 AD. It remained hidden until 1832 when it was uncovered in the basement of a house at 53 Jewry Wall Street. This house was later demolished to make way for the Great Central Railway's Leicester Central station, but a special chamber was built around the mosaic (beneath the station) to protect it and provide public access. It survived like this until the late 1970's when the mosaic was removed to the nearby Jewry Wall Museum. It is here that this photograph was taken on 21st October 2003. Note the bold use of colour and the uniformity of the individual tile pieces.
Publisher
ContributorBoyd-Hope, G. M.
Creatorpersonalname - Boyd-Hope, G. M.
Datecreation - 2003-10-21
TypePhotographs - Colour
Formatdimension.H - 125mm
dimension.W - 175mm
IdentifierGMBH - 150
SourceBoyd-Hope, G. M.
LanguageEN
Relationpart of - G. M. Boyd-Hope Collection
copy of - Original Negative
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Jewry Wall Museum, Leicester (O.S. Ref: 458200 304500)
point - 2003-10-21
RightsBoyd-Hope, G. M.