Montage of rail images. Follow this link to skip navigation.
Link to the railway archive

Railway Archive: The Last Main Line

Link to home page
Link to canals section
Link to railways section
Link to aviation section
Link to learning zone
Link to about this site
Link to send feedback
Navigation ends

Navvies at work on High Wycombe viaduct

Navvies at work on High Wycombe viaduct

Go back to the records from the High Wycombe map.Buy this photo this link opens a new window
L3162. A delightful photograph, taken around 1903 during the widening of High Wycombe viaduct. An existing part of the Great Western Railway, the structure was modified to accommodate the extra line of track which was laid during the construction of the Great Western & Great Central Joint route. Beneath the gang of navvies posing for Newton's camera are the forest of timber centrings which have been installed to provide the shape of the arch. The viaduct's imposing scale can be appreciated when looking at the man standing with a cart beside the temporary wooden stanchions and the two girls who are approaching the bridge on the opposite side of the road.
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - S. W. A Newton
Datecreation - circa 1903
TypePhotographs - black and white
Formatdimension.H - 160mm
dimension.W - 212mm
IdentifierNewton - 103/8
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationcopy of - glass plate negative
part of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
CoverageLocation.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
Location.Creation Site - High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire (O.S. Ref: 486400 193300)
period - circa 1903
RightsLeicestershire County Council