Montage of rail images. Follow this link to skip navigation.
Link to the railway archive

Railway Archive: The Last Main Line

Link to home page
Link to canals section
Link to railways section
Link to aviation section
Link to learning zone
Link to about this site
Link to send feedback
Navigation ends

Blackfriars mosaic at Leicester Central

Blackfriars mosaic at Leicester Central

Go back to the records from the Leicester North map.
L3117. Dubbed the world's 'finest mosaic tessellation' in the nineteenth century, this is the Roman pavement which lay beneath the Great Central Station at Leicester. Part of the Act passed in 1893 which granted the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway permission to build the London Extension also legally bound the company to preserve the mosaic and to provide public access to it. To meet this obligation, the company built this tiled chamber beneath the station. Interested observers could also view the mosaic from above through a prismatic glass floor set into the platform itself. The pavement was moved in the 1970s to Leicester's Jewry Wall Museum.
Publisher
ContributorLeicester City Council
Creatorattribution - Unknown
Datecreation - Unknown
TypePhotographs - black and white
Formatdimension.H - 127mm
dimension.W - 174mm
Identifier736 ' 1977
SourceThe Jewry Wall Museum, Leicester
LanguageEN
Relationpart of - Museum History File - 736 ' 1977
CoverageLocation.Current Repository - The Jewry Wall Museum, Leicester
Location.Creation Site - Leicester Central Station, Leicester (O.S. Ref: 458100 304700)
period - Unknown
RightsLeicester City Council