Montage of rail images. Follow this link to skip navigation.
Link to the railway archive

Railway Archive: The Last Main Line

Link to home page
Link to canals section
Link to railways section
Link to aviation section
Link to learning zone
Link to about this site
Link to send feedback
Navigation ends

Blackfriars mosaic at Leicester Central

Blackfriars mosaic at Leicester Central

Go back to the records from the Leicester North map.
L3116. Thought to have been laid around 150 AD, this is the Blackfriars tessellated Roman pavement. First discovered in 1832 during the digging of foundations for a house at 53 Jewry Wall Street, the pavement lay beneath the proposed site of the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway's station at Leicester which was to be built as part of the London Extension. The company agreed to provide access to the pavement and to ensure its preservation, and so built this room, known as the mosaic chamber. Following the line's closure in 1969, and suffering from deterioration, the pavement was lifted in the 1970s and moved to the city's Jewry Wall Museum. Note the small tiled arch at the back of the room: this surrounds a fragment of the original Roman wall.
Publisher
ContributorLeicester City Council
Creatorattribution - Unknown
Datecreation - circa 1930
TypePhotographs - black and white
Formatdimension.H - 140mm
dimension.W - 199mm
Identifier736 ' 1977
SourceThe Jewry Wall Museum, Leicester
LanguageEN
Relationpart of - Museum History File - 736 ' 1977
CoverageLocation.Current Repository - The Jewry Wall Museum, Leicester
Location.Creation Site - Leicester Central Station, Leicester (O.S. Ref: 458100 304700)
period - circa 1930
RightsLeicester City Council