Montage of rail images. Follow this link to skip navigation.
Link to the railway archive

Railway Archive: The Last Main Line

Link to home page
Link to canals section
Link to railways section
Link to aviation section
Link to learning zone
Link to about this site
Link to send feedback
Navigation ends

Navvies at work on the site of Calvert Station

Navvies at work on the site of Calvert Station

Go back to the records from the Twyford map.Buy this photo this link opens a new window
L3089. A foreman stands over a gang of navvies - blurred by their activity - in this industrious scene captured on the site of the Great Central station at Calvert, Buckinghamshire. A line of wagons, perhaps waiting to remove the spoil, waits on the temporary rails. Visible on the right is the contractor's engine CUMBRIA, an 0-6-0 saddle tank locomotive built by the Hunslet Engine Co. in 1878. Provided new to C. Holland of Kilsea, Ireland, the engine was originally named MAGHERA. Interestingly, it was not a standard Hunslet engine: the original gauge was 5' 3', this being reduced to standard gauge width (4' 8.5') on its return to England. Walter Scott & Co., the firm responsible for building this section of the Last Main Line (Contract No.6) still owned the loco in 1903.
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - S. W. A Newton
Datecreation - circa 1897
TypePhotographs - black and white
Formatdimension.H - 158mm
dimension.W - 211mm
IdentifierNewton - 40/15
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationcopy of - glass plate negative
part of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
CoverageLocation.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland
Location.Creation Site - Calvert, Buckinghamshire (O.S. Ref: 468800 224600)
period - circa 1897
RightsLeicestershire County Council