Montage of rail images. Follow this link to skip navigation.
Link to the railway archive

Railway Archive: The Last Main Line

Link to home page
Link to canals section
Link to railways section
Link to aviation section
Link to learning zone
Link to about this site
Link to send feedback
Navigation ends

Navvies on the site of Calvert Station

Navvies on the site of Calvert Station

Go back to the records from the Twyford map.Buy this photo this link opens a new window
L2909. Three navvies pause from their work and pose for Newton's camera at the site of the Great Central Station at Calvert, Buckinghamshire. This was the southern most of the Last Main Line stations to be built to the familiar island platform design prior to the route joining the exisiting Metropolitan Railway network at Quainton Road.
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - S. W. A Newton
Datecreation - circa 1897
TypePhotographs - black and white
Formatdimension.H - 162mm
dimension.W - 216mm
IdentifierNewton - 13/3
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationcopy of - glass plate negative
part of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
CoverageLocation.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
Location.Creation Site - Calvert, Buckinghamshire (O.S. Ref: 468900 224700)
period - circa 1897
RightsLeicestershire County Council