Montage of rail images. Follow this link to skip navigation.
Link to the railway archive

Railway Archive: The Last Main Line

Link to home page
Link to canals section
Link to railways section
Link to aviation section
Link to learning zone
Link to about this site
Link to send feedback
Navigation ends

Quainton Road Station, Buckinghamshire

Quainton Road Station, Buckinghamshire

Go back to the records from the Waddesdon map.
L2608. Looking south towards Quainton Road Station, Buckinghamshire. This marked the point at which the Great Central's London Extension linked up with the Metropolitan Railway, the latter having given permission for the new mainline to use part of its existing network for its route into the capital. In addition to the two mainline platforms that are connected by the pedestrian bridge, there is a third on the right of the picture at the junction of the Brill branch (originally called the Wotton Tramway), a six mile line completed in 1872. Just visible standing at the Brill platform and pulling a mixed cargo is the 4-4-0T Metropolitan A-Class locomotive No. 41 (works no. 865), one of six A-Class engines built by Beyer Peacock in 1869.
Publisher
ContributorLondon's Transport Museum
Creatorattribution - Topical Press
Datecreation - 1935-08-22
TypeDigital images - Scanned
Formatdimension.H - 152mm
dimension.W - 203mm
IdentifierLondon's Transport Museum - 1998/ 84261
SourceLondon's Transport Museum
LanguageEN
Relationcopy of - Black and white print
Coveragepoint - 1935-08-22
Location.Current Repository - London's Transport Museum
Location.Creation Site - Quainton Road Station, Quainton, Buckinghamshire (O.S. Ref: 473800 219000)
RightsLondon's Transport Museum