Montage of rail images. Follow this link to skip navigation.
Link to the railway archive

Railway Archive: The Last Main Line

Link to home page
Link to canals section
Link to railways section
Link to aviation section
Link to learning zone
Link to about this site
Link to send feedback
Navigation ends

Castellated portal of the old Woodhead Tunnel after closure.

Castellated portal of the old Woodhead Tunnel after closure.

Go back to the map or view all the records from this map.
L2538. A fine study of the castellated western portal of the original Woodhead Tunnel, built for the Sheffield, Ashton-under-Lyne & Manchester Railway in 1846. The tunnel was only a narrow single bore and, as traffic increased, a second tunnel was built alongside in 1852. Construction of the tunnels had been very dangerous resulting in the loss of several lives. With the electrification of the line, a third larger tunnel was built in 1954 to replace the original two as they were deemed to small to take the overhead electric wires. The castellations of the old tunnel portals matched the station building, but the latter was demolished to make way for the new tunnel. Today the line is closed but all three tunnels survive, although the turrets and battlements have been removed. Note the 'Arrow Slits' in the central column.
Publisher
ContributorMuseum of Science & Industry in Manchester
Creatorpersonalname - Clarke, John
Datecreation - 1964-02
TypeNegatives - Black and White
Formatdimension.H - 60mm
dimension.W - 60mm
Identifier551A
SourceJohn Clarke Collection - Museum of Science & Industry in Manchester
LanguageEN
Relationpart of - John Clarke Collection - Museum of Science & Industry in Manchester
copy of - Acetate Negative
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Woodhead, Cheshire (O.S. Ref: 411300 399900)
Location.Current Repository - Museum of Science & Industry in Manchester
point - 1964-02
RightsMuseum of Science & Industry in Manchester