Montage of rail images. Follow this link to skip navigation.
Link to the railway archive

Railway Archive: The Last Main Line

Link to home page
Link to canals section
Link to railways section
Link to aviation section
Link to learning zone
Link to about this site
Link to send feedback
Navigation ends

Steel girder arriving at West Bridge, Leicester

Steel girder arriving at West Bridge, Leicester

Go back to the records from the Leicester North map.Buy this photo this link opens a new window
L2428. Almost reminiscent of a funeral procession, one of the girders destined for the Great Central bridge over St. Augustine Street is borne on a horse drawn wagon across the cobbles at West Bridge. A number of well dressed observers are in attendance. Built by Henry Lovatt & Co. as part of Contract No.2 (Leake to Aylestone), the girder bridge formed part of the long viaduct that carried the Last Main Line across much of the city.
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - Newton, S. W. A.
Datecreation - circa 1897
TypePhotographs - Black and white
Formatdimension.H - 118mm
dimension.W - 162mm
IdentifierNewton - Y 2/10
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationcopy of - glass plate negative
part of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - West Bridge, Leicester (O.S. Ref: 458100 304300)
Location.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
period - circa 1897
RightsLeicestershire County Council