Montage of rail images. Follow this link to skip navigation.
Link to the railway archive

Railway Archive: The Last Main Line

Link to home page
Link to canals section
Link to railways section
Link to aviation section
Link to learning zone
Link to about this site
Link to send feedback
Navigation ends

Navvies taking a break at Quainton Road Junction

Navvies taking a break at Quainton Road Junction

Go back to the map or view all the records from this map.Buy this photo this link opens a new window
L2353. Doubtless taking a well earned break, a group of navvies pose for Newton's camera as they sit by a line of temporary railway north of Quainton Road Junction, Buckinghamshire. These men would most likely have worked for Walter Scott & Son of Newcastle upon Tyne, the contractor responsible for building this section of the Last Main Line (Contract No.6, Brackley to Quainton Road). The girder bridge visible beyond spanned the Great Central's London Extension, whilst the brick arch bridge crossed the Metropolitan Railway. Just south of these bridges the two lines converged, and headed into the capital as the Metropolitan & Great Central Joint Railway.
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - Newton, S. W. A.
Datecreation - circa 1897
TypePhotographs - Black and white
Formatdimension.H - 116mm
dimension.W - 161mm
IdentifierNewton - V 4/5
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationcopy of - glass plate negative
part of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Quainton Road, Buckinghamshire (O.S. Ref: 472700 219900)
Location.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland
period - circa 1897
RightsLeicestershire County Council