Montage of rail images. Follow this link to skip navigation.
Link to the railway archive

Railway Archive: The Last Main Line

Link to home page
Link to canals section
Link to railways section
Link to aviation section
Link to learning zone
Link to about this site
Link to send feedback
Navigation ends

Leicester goods depot nearing completion

Leicester goods depot nearing completion

Go back to the records from the Leicester North map.Buy this photo this link opens a new window
L2246. Built by Henry Lovatt & Co. of Wolverhampton as part of Contract No.2 (Leake to Aylestone), this is the Great Central goods depot at Leicester, seen here nearing completion. When this building was in use, it would have housed an enormous range of commodities, including coal, fish, steel and grain. Note the Midland Railways mineral wagon at rest behind the crane.
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - Newton, S. W. A.
Datecreation - circa 1898
TypePhotographs - Black and white
Formatdimension.H - 116mm
dimension.W - 165mm
IdentifierNewton - R 6/5
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationcopy of - glass plate negative
part of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Leicester, Leicestershire (O.S. Ref: 458000 303600)
Location.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
period - circa 1898
RightsLeicestershire County Council