Montage of rail images. Follow this link to skip navigation.
Link to the railway archive

Railway Archive: The Last Main Line

Link to home page
Link to canals section
Link to railways section
Link to aviation section
Link to learning zone
Link to about this site
Link to send feedback
Navigation ends

Construction of a three arch tunnel in St. Johns Wood

Construction of a three arch tunnel in St. Johns Wood

Go back to the records from the Marylebone map.Buy this photo this link opens a new window
L2228. Taken around 1897, this photograph shows the three portals of a brick arch tunnel under construction at a site north of Lord's Cricket Ground in St. Johns Wood, London. Note the centring lying on the earth piled close to the central arch. These timber frames were built to provide the shape of the arch, and were later removed after the skin of bricks was completed. J.T. Firbank of London Bridge was the firm contracted to build this section of the Railway (Contract No.7, West Hampstead to Marylebone).
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - Newton, S. W. A.
Datecreation - circa 1897
TypePhotographs - Black and white
Formatdimension.H - 118mm
dimension.W - 162mm
IdentifierNewton - R 3/2
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationcopy of - glass plate negative
part of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - St. Johns Wood, London (O.S. Ref: 526800 182800)
Location.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
period - circa 1897
RightsLeicestershire County Council