Montage of rail images. Follow this link to skip navigation.
Link to the railway archive

Railway Archive: The Last Main Line

Link to home page
Link to canals section
Link to railways section
Link to aviation section
Link to learning zone
Link to about this site
Link to send feedback
Navigation ends

Entrance to Loughborough Central Station, Leicestershire

Entrance to Loughborough Central Station, Leicestershire

Go back to the records from the Loughborough South map.
L2164. Photographed from the Great Central Road girder bridge in December 1977, this is the entrance to Loughborough Central Station. As the words over the glazed canopy testify, Loughborough had become the centre for the Main Line Steam Trust's Great Central preserved line. Note the terracotta date plaques at the apex of the gables: the station was built by Henry Lovatt & Co. as part of Contract No.2 (Leake to Aylestone), and was completed in 1898.
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - Hartley, R. F.
Datecreation - 1977-12
TypePhotographs - Black and White
Formatdimension.H - 127mm
dimension.W - 177mm
IdentifierDE 1897/264
SourceRecord Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationpart of - DE 1897
copy of - Original Negative
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Loughborough, Leicestershire (O.S. Ref: 454400 319300)
period - 1977-12
Location.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
RightsHartley, R. F.