Montage of rail images. Follow this link to skip navigation.
Link to the railway archive

Railway Archive: The Last Main Line

Link to home page
Link to canals section
Link to railways section
Link to aviation section
Link to learning zone
Link to about this site
Link to send feedback
Navigation ends

Locomotive at Loughborough Central Station

Locomotive at Loughborough Central Station

Go back to the map or view all the records from this map.
L1866. After the London Extension closed in 1969, the Main Line Steam Trust purchased the section of the old railway between Loughborough Central and Belgrave & Birstall stations. While the Trust prepared the railway to carry steam hauled passenger trains, they ran ex-industrial locomotives at Loughborough to give cab and brake van rides. Here we see Hawthorn Leslie & Co. built, 0-4-0 saddletank Marston, Thompson & Evershed No. 3 (No. 3581 of 1928) approaching the Northern end of Loughborough Central platform in 1973.
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - Wain, M. J.
Datecreation - circa 1974
TypePhotographs - Colour
Formatdimension.H - 23mm
dimension.W - 35mm
IdentifierDE 4332/65/23
SourceRecord Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationpart of - DE 4332/65
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Loughborough Central Station, Loughborough (O.S. Ref: 454400 319400)
period - circa 1973
Location.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
RightsM. J. Wain