Montage of rail images. Follow this link to skip navigation.
Link to the railway archive

Railway Archive: The Last Main Line

Link to home page
Link to canals section
Link to railways section
Link to aviation section
Link to learning zone
Link to about this site
Link to send feedback
Navigation ends

Steam navvies by a brick arch bridge at Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire

Steam navvies by a brick arch bridge at Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire

Go back to the map or view all the records from this map.Buy this photo this link opens a new window
L1791. With the ballast packed and the cutting dressed, this section of the Great Western & Great Central Joint Line appears ready for traffic. Beyond the handsome brick arch overbridge, six steam navvies and a long line of tipping wagons sit beside the permanent way, their work apparently done. Pauling & Co. of Westminster was the contractor responsible for building this section of the line (Northolt to High Wycombe) between 1901-1905.
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - Newton, S. W. A.
Datecreation - circa 1905
TypePhotographs - Black and white
Formatdimension.H - 118mm
dimension.W - 162mm
IdentifierNewton - N 2/6
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationcopy of - glass plate negative
part of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire (O.S. Ref: 499500 189200)
Location.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
period - circa 1905
RightsLeicestershire County Council