Montage of rail images. Follow this link to skip navigation.
Link to the railway archive

Railway Archive: The Last Main Line

Link to home page
Link to canals section
Link to railways section
Link to aviation section
Link to learning zone
Link to about this site
Link to send feedback
Navigation ends

Navvy camp near Flecknoe, Warwickshire

Navvy camp near Flecknoe, Warwickshire

Go back to the map or view all the records from this map.Buy this photo this link opens a new window
L1785. Looking across a line of contractor's temporary railway towards a navvy camp near Flecknoe, Warwickshire, circa 1897. However bleak and simplistic these huts appear today, this accommodation built by the contractors was a huge improvement on the primitive and inadequate dwellings which the navvies had inhabited for much of the nineteenth century. Workers living here would have worked for T. Oliver & Son, the firm responsible for building this section of the Last Main Line (Contract No.4, Rugby to Woodford).
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - Newton, S. W. A.
Datecreation - circa 1897
TypePhotographs - Black and white
Formatdimension.H - 118mm
dimension.W - 162mm
IdentifierNewton - N 1/8
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationcopy of - glass plate negative
part of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Flecknoe, Warwickshire (O.S. Ref: 452000 263600
Location.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
period - circa 1897
RightsLeicestershire County Council