Montage of rail images. Follow this link to skip navigation.
Link to the railway archive

Railway Archive: The Last Main Line

Link to home page
Link to canals section
Link to railways section
Link to aviation section
Link to learning zone
Link to about this site
Link to send feedback
Navigation ends

Navvy mission room at Staverton, Northamptonshire

Navvy mission room at Staverton, Northamptonshire

Go back to the map or view all the records from this map.Buy this photo this link opens a new window
L1783. A barn at Staverton, Northamptonshire, converted into a navvy mission reading room. Despite the navvy having lost some of the fearsome reputation he had acquired in the mid-nineteenth century, the 1890s were still subject to a moralistic Victorian tone, and the godless, unruly navvies remained ripe for conversion. Given the simplicity of the buildings, their furnishings and indeed the religious message found within, these stations often achieved substantial support from the navvy communities they served.
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - Newton, S. W. A.
Datecreation - circa 1897
TypePhotographs - Black and white
Formatdimension.H - 118mm
dimension.W - 162mm
IdentifierNewton - N 1/6
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationcopy of - glass plate negative
part of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Staverton, Northamptonshire (O.S. Ref: 453000 261000)
Location.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
period - circa 1897
RightsLeicestershire County Council