Montage of rail images. Follow this link to skip navigation.
Link to the railway archive

Railway Archive: The Last Main Line

Link to home page
Link to canals section
Link to railways section
Link to aviation section
Link to learning zone
Link to about this site
Link to send feedback
Navigation ends

Locomotive and temporary bridge, Bedehouse Meadows, Leicester

Locomotive and temporary bridge, Bedehouse Meadows, Leicester

Go back to the map or view all the records from this map.Buy this photo this link opens a new window
L1723. An 0-6-0 Manning Wardle saddle tank locomotive crosses the Grand Union Canal by a temporary wooden bridge at the site of Leicester Goods Yard, Bedehouse Meadows, circa 1897. The engine was most likely owned by Henry Lovatt & Co. of Wolverhampton, the contractor responsible for building this part of the Last Main Line (Contract No.2, Leake to Aylestone).
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - Newton, S. W. A.
Datecreation - circa 1897
TypePhotographic prints - black and white
Photographs - 
Formatdimension.H - 118mm
dimension.W - 161mm
IdentifierNewton - M 5/14
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationcopy of - glass plate negative
part of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Bedehouse Meadows, Leicester (O.S. Ref: 457900 303600)
Location.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
period - circa 1897
RightsLeicestershire County Council