Montage of rail images. Follow this link to skip navigation.
Link to the railway archive

Railway Archive: The Last Main Line

Link to home page
Link to canals section
Link to railways section
Link to aviation section
Link to learning zone
Link to about this site
Link to send feedback
Navigation ends

The entrance to the Roman mosaic chamber, at Great Central Station, Leicester

The entrance to the Roman mosaic chamber, at Great Central Station, Leicester

Go back to the map or view all the records from this map.Buy this photo this link opens a new window
L1592. The entrance to the Roman mosaic chamber at Leicester's Great Central Station, circa 1899. The mosaic was found during the demolition of houses that were being cleared to make way for the new line and station. To preserve this ancient pavement and to provide access to the public, the chamber was then constructed around it. Henry Lovatt of Wolverhampton was the contractor who built this section of the Line (Contract No.2 Leake to Aylestone). Note that the shop on the right has been quick to use the discovery to promote business: it is called the Roman Pavement Stores.
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - Newton, S. W. A.
Datecreation - circa 1899
TypePhotographic prints - black and white
Photographs - 
Formatdimension.H - 118mm
dimension.W - 161mm
IdentifierNewton - J 5/3
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationpart of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
copy of - glass plate negative
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Great Central Station, Leicester (O.S. Ref: 458100 304600)
Location.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
period - circa 1899
RightsLeicestershire County Council