Montage of rail images. Follow this link to skip navigation.
Link to the railway archive

Railway Archive: The Last Main Line

Link to home page
Link to canals section
Link to railways section
Link to aviation section
Link to learning zone
Link to about this site
Link to send feedback
Navigation ends

Carriage sheds and gas works, Leicester

Carriage sheds and gas works, Leicester

Go back to the records from the Leicester North map.Buy this photo this link opens a new window
L1450. The new carriage sheds (with gas works beyond) at Leicester, circa 1897. The wagons on the right of the photograph outside the shed belonged to the Midland Railway, but were used by the Great Central during the construction of the London Extension. At the time this photograph was taken, the sheds were still only connected by the temporary contractors' rails, with the final permanent way still to be laid. This section of the line (Contract No. 2 - East Leake to Aylestone) was built by Henry Lovatt of Wolverhampton.
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - Newton, S. W. A.
Datecreation - circa 1897
TypePhotographs - Black and White
Formatdimension.H - 118mm
dimension.W - 161mm
IdentifierNewton - G 6/7
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationpart of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
copy of - glass plate negative
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Leicester, Leicestershire (O.S. Ref: 457800 303700)
Location.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
period - circa 1897
RightsLeicestershire County Council